Study on SI belts for pregnancy back pain found it reduced pain by 2/10.
J Clin Nurs. 2017 May in press
Pregnancy and pelvic girdle pain: analysis of pelvic belt on pain.
Bertuit J et al
- 46 pregnant women with pelvic girdle pain
- pain started 14-21st week
- pain was an average of 6/10
- using belt reduced pain by 2/10
Article used either – found no difference in effectiveness
Ortel-P Thuasne maternity belt:- narrow and flexible.
LombaMum Thuasne maternity belt – wide and rigid with metal reinforcements
both can adjust tightness with velcro
- 1/2 of pregnant women get back pain usually between posterior hip crest and gluteal folds by SI joints
- often worse in evening
- worsen with prolong standing, and walking though 1/2 found any activity worsens
- often belts used for 2 1/2 hours 4 days a week
- reduced pain maybe 40%
Comment – looks useful but I found an European supplier and they aren’t cheap. Any suggestions re belts?