In rodents, Melatonin helps prevent peripheral nerve damage from Oxaliplatin for colon cancer without reducing its cyotoxic effects on cancer. Doses were large, but I would give it a try..
J Pineal Res. 2017 Apr;62(3). doi: 10.1111/jpi.12393.
Melatonin prevents mitochondrial dysfunction and promotes neuroprotection by
inducing autophagy during oxaliplatin-evoked peripheral neuropathy.
Areti A et al
- Oxaliplatin induces rapid onset of cold- induced distal dysesthesia followed by both sensory and motor issues in 80 -90% of cases
- mitochondrial dysfunction is a part of that
- melatonin has anti-oxidant properties
- it reduces oxidative stress and improves neurogenesis
- “melatonin did not compromise the anticancer activity of oxaliplatin”
- doses in rats were huge – 10 mh/kg so unable to generalize to human
- suggest take 10 – 20 mg hs and 1 mg with meals and try that…
Comment – another agent that stops chemotherapy peripheral neuropathy numbness/pain is L- Acetyl-Carnitine:
Prevent Chemotherapy Neuropathy With L-Acetyl Carnitine (LAC) – Please Take