Sumatriptan (Imetrix) 85 mg plus Sodium Naproxen (like Aleve or Anaprox) 500 mg gave 29% – 2 hour painfree response and 24% sustained 24 hour painfree response yet 62% were satisfied/very satisfied.
Cephalalgia. 2013 Oct 9. [Epub ahead of print]
Sumatriptan/naproxen sodium for the acute treatment of probable migraine without aura: A randomized study.
Silberstein S, McDonald SA, Goldstein J, Aurora S, Lener SE, White J, Runken MC, Saiers J, Derosier F, Lipton RB.
- 222 in active group; 221 in placebo (is that ethical?)
- Sumatritran equivalent to 85 mg plus sodium Naproxen 500 mg – could repeat at two hours
- Anaprox comes in 275 and DS as the 550 mg (? two of regular or 1 of DS); Aleve comes in 220 mg (? 2.5 tabs of it)
- 29% 2 hour pain relief versus 11% of placebo;
- 24% 2-24 hour interval pain relief versus 9% of placebo
- 62% were satisfied versus 43% of placebo (wow – not much difference here…)
- dizziness (4% sumatriptan/ naproxen sodium,<1% placebo)
- dry mouth (2% sumatriptan/naproxen sodium, <1% placebo)
- nausea (2% sumatriptan/naproxen sodium, <1% placebo)
Comment – the sumatriptan herre is 100 mg but it still looks like 1/3 of patients will need further treatments for headaches…. have written about alternatives before… Sleep apnea is becoming a bigger contributor for my group now …