Subject treated for acromegaly developed peripheral neuropathy and could not tolerate oral meds. Though pain was 9/10; 5% baclofen once daily, profoundly reduced pains in legs.
J Pain Symptom Manage. 2013 Oct;46(4):e4-e5.
Neuropathic Pain as a Result of Acromegaly, Treated With Topical Baclofen Cream.
Kopsky DJ, Keppel Hesselink JM.
- Makes note that compression neuropathies common in acromegaly – but this pain/numbness was up to knees
- pain was 9/10 and had a positive neuralgic scale
- 5% baclofen worked so well scaled it down to 2% baclofen applied several times a week.
- amitriptyline, ketamine, and gabapentin are other common topicals
- a 2% baclofen has been wrtiten up for use in PLO 20% gel: – is slightly soluble in water and poorly lipid soluble.
- That would take One Hundred baclofen 20 mg tabs in 100 mls water. applied as compresses, if made cheaply…
Comment – like most topicals, could be expensive, if not have coverage.