Twin studies have found genetic linkages of IC/painful bladder syndrome with several diseases – Irritable bowel, prior physical abuse, frequent headaches, multiple drug allergies, and self reported bladder infections.
J Urol. 2011 Nov 14. [Epub ahead of print]
Bladder Pain Syndrome/Interstitial Cystitis in Twin Sisters.
Tunitsky E, Barber MD, Jeppson PC, Nutter B, Jelovsek JE, Ridgeway B. abstract here
- If one has it, 35% chance other will have IC/PB as well
- irritable bowel syndrome 1.8 X as likely
- physical abuse 2.5 x as likely
- frequent headaches 1.6 X as likely
- multiple drug allergies 1.5 x as likely
- number of self-reported urinary tract infections in the last year – 8.2 x as likely