Vitamin D is helpful in pain control and reduces cancer esp colorectal cancer – and recurrence rates. Article makes a plausible case for magnesium needed for Vitamin D to work.
Role of Magnesium in Vitamin D Activation and Function
Anne Marie Uwitonze, Mohammed S. Razzaque
The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, March 2018, Vol. 118, 181-189.
- metabolism of vitamin d to an active form is magnesium dependent
- activity of vitamin D–binding protein is also a magnesium-dependent process
- Magnesium deficiency results in reduced vitamin d levels
- “Magnesium supplementation was shown to markedly reduce the resistance to vitamin D treatment”
- magnesium “influencing the synthesis of the active vitamin D metabolites”
- “Studies have shown that hypovitaminosis D–associated risk of mortality could be modified by the consumption of magnesium.”
- “positive association has been found between dietary magnesium intake and bone mineral density.”
- “Serum PTH levels decreased by 32% in the magnesium-supplemented group compared with 4% in the control group.”
Comment – I use Osto-D2 vitamin D2 50,000 units weekly. I use magnesium for constipation and now that it is clear that cheap Magnesium Oxide absorption is as good as magnesium citrate, this is cheap to do. I will suggest it to augment vitammin D effects. – How much do you take ? enough to loosen bowels slightly. Most amazing effects I have seen has been effects Magnesium has on Blood pressure in multiple studies:
Oral magnesium supplements decrease high blood pressure (SBP > 155mmHg) in hypertensive subjects on anti-hypertensive medications:a targeted meta-analysis
Andrea Rosanoff, Michael R. Plesset
Magnes Res 2013; 26(3): 93-9
the drops in studies are huge – systolics down 18.7 mg
Have a case that started with moderate hypertension requiring coversyl 16 mg with a diuretic that after started on magesium citarate 150 mg THREE tab od ended up on coversyl 4 mg.