For years people were told they needed 400 u/day; Now it looks like 8000 is more like it. There are all sorts of cures for disease’s with taking vit d which is probably just making up for deficiency.
J Prev Med Public Health. 2017 Jul; 50(4): 278–281.
The Big Vitamin D Mistake
Dimitrios T. Papadimitriou
- “Since 2006, type 1 diabetes in Finland has plateaued and then decreased after the authorities’ decision to fortify dietary milk products with cholecalciferol.
- The role of vitamin D in innate and adaptive immunity is critical.
- A statistical error in the estimation of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin D was recently discovered; in a correct analysis of the data used by the Institute of Medicine, it was found that 8895 IU/d was needed for 97.5% of individuals to achieve values ≥50 nmol/L.
- Another study confirmed that 6201 IU/d was needed to achieve 75 nmol/L and 9122 IU/d was needed to reach 100 nmol/L.
- The largest meta-analysis ever conducted of studies published between 1966 and 2013 showed that 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels <75 nmol/L may be too low for safety and associated with higher all-cause mortality, demolishing the previously presumed U-shape curve of mortality associated with vitamin D levels.
- Since all-disease mortality is reduced to 1.0 with serum vitamin D levels ≥100 nmol/L, we call public health authorities to consider designating as the RDA at least three-fourths of the levels proposed by the Endocrine Society Expert Committee as safe upper tolerable daily intake doses.
- This could lead to a recommendation of 1000 IU for children <1 year on enriched formula and 1500 IU for breastfed children older than 6 months, 3000 IU for children >1 year of age, and around 8000 IU for young adults and thereafter.
- Actions are urgently needed to protect the global population from vitamin D deficiency.”
Comment – I had trouble finding this for a patient almost like it had been forgotten and buried . One would need 50,000 units (called osto-d2 50,000 units here) weekly to get those levels. There are now tons of studies finding vit d supplementation improves pain, immunity, sleep and so forth probably because usual levels were inadequate.