Pain in butt and hamstring is not uncommon and usually involves hamstring. However, neuropathic level pain in areas can happen after surgery or injection suggesting nerve damage to Posterior Femoral Cutaneous Nerve. Present article used cryoablation successfully to treat.
Skeletal Radiol. 2017 Jul;46(7):983-987. doi: 10.1007/s00256-017-2617-6.
MRI-guided cryoablation of the posterior femoral cutaneous nerve for the treatment of neuropathy-mediated sitting pain.
Joshi DH et al
Posterior cutaneous Nerve Thigh courses :
- medial posterior buttock
- parts of the scrotum or the labia
- posterior thigh to the mid-calf.
- throbbing burning pain
- radiating to posterior part of the thigh to the popliteal fossa
- worse sitting
Most likely injury is injections but present case was after right pudental nerve surgery
- blocked first with 10 cm needle (?overkill)- block using 2 ml
of 1% ropivacaine
- “Introduction of a 15-cm long 20-G probe for cryoablation of the posterior femoral cutaneous nerve using two 3-min freeze/3-min thaw cycle”
Result – immediate substantial relief and still good 5 months later
Comment – was not aware of this problem – is another sitting disease like pudental neuralgia but it goes down back of thigh to knee.