There is some good new and bad news in a recent study
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010 Jul 26. [Epub ahead of print]
Mortality in fibromyalgia: An 8,186 patient study over 35 years.
Wolfe F, Hassett AL, Walitt B, Michaud K. abstract here
* 8,186 fibromyalgia patient seen between 1974 and 2009 ; 539 deaths (6.6%)
* there was no increase in death rate compared to osteoarthritis or the US population
* Suicide rates however were 3.3 times as common and accidental deaths 1.45 times as common.
Comment – Prior studies had showed a relationship of FM and death, but when larger ones were done, the found it could all be explained by
- smoking and stroke/heart disease and cancer
- alcohol abuse and cirrhosis
Do not smoke or drink alcohol !
I believe there may be a genetic linkage between Fibromyalgia and major mood disorders. Any depression has to be treated vigorously and if there is intolerance to medication the other measure need be taken. I have compiled a list of other measures here:
Checklist of Simple Treatments For Depression – including in Pregnancy