Serial MRI images were able to detect either broad band or localized signal changes in proximal femur during a period of hip pains. Subsequently, the hip pains may resolve but hip OA changes appeared on imaging. This chronologs the process – bone damage that resolves but cartilage damage follows…
Open Rheumatol J. 2013 Nov 29;7:112-8.
The Pathophysiology of Primary Hip Osteoarthritis may Originate from Bone Alterations.
Kamimura M,Nakamura , Ikegami S, Mukaiyama K, Uchiyama S, Kato H.
- 7 cases average age 70 – 6 female; 1 male
- seen with acute onset a pains with walking – no trauma
- “Within two months of the onset of pain, hip MRI was performed and revealed that all 7 cases showed low intensity by T1W and high intensity by T2-STIR in the proximal femur.”
- 4 had broad based changes; 3 were more localized
- 3- 6 months after – xrays in all patients whose pain had been much improved, had progression of OA.
- suggested that OA hip can result from pathological bone changesand referred to other articles that found subchondral bone changes causing OA ?imbalanced bone remodelling
- Comment on how Alendonate and Risedronate Bone building Biphosphates appear to help OA prehaps by preventing bone microfractures.
Comment – does appear that OA is partly a bone disease. Wonder if Hyperbaric oxygen given daily during the episode of hip pain could have prevented the subsequent degeneration. They make a case for using biphosophantes; Evista has also been shown to help knee and back pains. maillots foot maillots foot