The causes of hand tingling in computer operators were : myofascial pain syndrome, 68%; cervical radiculopathy (arm sciatica), 27%; shoulder rotator cuff syndrome, 11%; forearm tenosynovitis, 8%; and carpal tunnel syndrome, 5%.
Ann Rehabil Med. 2013 Apr;37(2):221-228.
Causes of Hand Tingling in Visual Display Terminal Workers.
Oh S, Kim HK, Kwak J, Kim T, Jang SH, Lee KH, Kim MJ, Park SB, Han SH.
- 876 desk workers
Again causes were:
- 68 % myofascial pain syndrome
- 27 % cervical radiculopathy (arm sciatica)
- 11% shoulder rotator cuff syndrome,
- 8% forearm tenosynovitis
- only 5% carpal tunnel syndrome
Myofascial muscles :
- infraspinatus, 65.4%; rhomboideus 15.4%
- upper trapezius, 57.7%;
flexor carpi radialis, 38.5%; flexor pollicis longus 11.5%
Hand numbing triggers rarely act in isolation:
Comment – I invariably send these cases with triggers for electodiagnostics. Now it appears trigger point therapy and measure to deal with trigger point activations, need to be addressed first.
article describes how dry needling teres minor and infraspinatus in case of neck/shoulder girdle pain with arm numbness.:
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2017 Apr;47(4):287-292.
Complaints of Upper Extremity Numbness and Tingling Relieved With Dry Needling of
the Teres Minor and Infraspinatus: A Case Report.
Lane E, Clewley D, Koppenhaver S.
- 60 year old female
- neck and shoulder girdle pain
- upper limb numbness
- factored out to triggers in infraspinatus and teres minor
- 2 sessions of dry needling those muscles relieved the pain and altered sensation
Comment – injecting/needling triggers could help this issue. In computer workers a forearm support is useful