Brain EEG “imaging” study shows hyperarousal with just brushing of right arm – highlighting fact disease involves brain hypersensitivity
1. Clin Neurophysiol. 2013 Jan;124(1):154-63.
Ipsilateral cortical activation in fibromyalgia patients during brushing correlates with symptom severity.
Fallon N, Chiu YH, Li X, Nurmikko TJ, Stancak A. abstract here
- Right arm lightly brushed
- Surprisingly, there were activations even on the opposite to the receiving brain side
- Detailed analysis showed activations in the pain network – bilateral insula and primary and secondary somatosensory cortices
- Control activations were limitied to contralateral (left) somatosensory cortex